“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins

Mailing Address

Bryn Kass
San Francisco, CA

Thursday, June 16, 2011

That's A Wrap Folks

So here goes the last blog about Cape Town adventures…the short and sweet of my last two weeks, during which I…

Visited the Shepherd’s house for a delicious soup dinner and family time with them. Cara-Leigh introduced me to Stumble Upon, and, since then, I have watched the youtube video “People Are Awesome” about fifteen times. If you haven’t seen it, you’re missing out.

Breakfasted on eggs and toast with Storm, Tom, and Dave. Storm and I were indebted to them one breakfast for losing our tennis match. I was secretly glad we lost because Storm is excellent at making scrambled eggs.

Toured the District 6 Museum and several townships in Cape Town. It was truly an eye-opening experience. I asked our guide, whose family lives in the township of Langa, if residents moved from the townships when they had the means to do so. He explained to us that the township residents might be unsatisfied, but they are not unhappy. In fact, I would argue that the sense of community in such places creates a happiness that many wealthy people will never know. I do not want to understate their poverty, however. While some residents live relatively comfortable lives, it is not uncommon for two families to share a one-room house. It is a very different world.




Saw Goldfish live at Assembly. There was a very large contingent of Americans there, set on seeing the band one last time before leaving SA. Plus, I was thrilled to spend time with Elizabeth, a friend of a friend from home, and her boyfriend Tom who was visiting.

Spent many an evening in Constantia with 2/6 of the Hobbs family (Mrs. Hobbs was visiting for a couple weeks) and other friends. We watched movies, ate food, walked around gardens, exchanged the casual face massage and arm scratch, and played heart and soul on the piano.

Witnessed Boi submerged in ice cold pool water at 9 pm. What a time to be baptized! But it surely shows commitment. I was so happy to be there for such a special occasion.

Visited the art museum with Tash. I’ve never been so interested in individual pieces, but, it is easy when you are viewing them with someone well-versed in art and art history.

Chowed on waffles with Mark and Wimpy. For those of you who don’t know Wimpy, it’s a 5 star establishment. Denzel Washington was often seen dining there during his filming of Safehouse. J of course, asking the waitress for a waffle without ice cream and syrup on the side really complicated things…so demanding I am.

Hung out with George-ians for Tegan’s fondue night. Of course, it wouldn’t have been complete without potatoes and green beans dipped in fondue or without seeing how many marshmallows Nick could fit into his mouth at once.

Picnicked at the Mike Hobbs manor in Constantia with Pasqua, Cara Leigh, Rafe, Jono, Cale, Jenna, Mark, and Hobzy. We stuffed our faces with cheese, crackers, dried fruit, and chips ahoy cookies and then roamed around the gardens for the afternoon. Unfortunately, my branch did not fare very well in our boat race down the creek, but it’s the thought that counts. The property is so beautiful in the early evening, and it was lovely to spend a warm day outside with such wonderful company.




Dined at the Harbour House in Kalk Bay. We were seated next to the glass windows looking directly out onto the crashing waves on the rocks below. It was exquisite.

Roamed the Old Biscuit Mill for the last time with Pasqua. We split 2 crepes: one with caramel, nuts, and whipped cream, the other with egg, avo, and cheese. Sweet and savory never tasted so good.

Hiked table mountain via Platteklip Gorge with Lans and Brittany. Of course, the rain hit us about an hour’s time up the mountain, but they were great sports and we trekked on through the wet and the cold. The warm table top restaurant was a welcomed respite from the weather.

Said goodbyes to many Americans leaving between 7 June and 13 June, when we left. It is a strange thing to spend every day with people and then say goodbye possibly forever.




Went to Beef Cakes with the girls and Dylan for Sam’s last night. We spent the evening laughing and eating burgers and trying to completely shut the door that kept opening with the wind. At the end of our meal, they brought us toilettes that expand in the water. Unfortunately for many customers, these potential toilettes look an awful lot like mints at first glance. Needless to say, we tried to convince to attempt to eat them.

Attended Ruth’s ladies night with champagne and bread pudding and so much beautiful makeup. The ladies and I went to Cape To Cuba for the nicest pina colada I’ve ever tasted.

Hosted a Fine Farewell Party at the Strubens Diggs. I was so touched by the amount of people that came to bid me adue, even thought many had to write exams the next day. I made the mistake of buying balloons, which were then popped continuously throughout the evening, the shocks of which shortened my life span by a year or two. I played a powerpoint that I had made for everyone, and, after an evening of lively social activity, said my goodbyes to many people. Still, I couldn’t come to terms with the fact that I was leaving. It felt very surreal.

Hiked Table Mountain twice more with Taylor. The first time we went, we hiked Nursery Ravine in the rain and wind without any view whatsoever in the fog. Since we’ve ventured that way more than a handful of times, it was surprisingly exciting to be hiking in bad weather, simply for a new experience. The day before we left, Taylor and I took Izzy up India Venster. It was a very windy day, but we were cruising and made it up and down again (via the gorge) in 3 hours’ time.

Attended Dan’s breakfast get together. He made an infinite amount of scrambled eggs, tomatoes with cheese, and buttered toast. Well done, Chef Atlas. It was delicious!

Went Sokkie Dancing, planned by Ruth, for the first time. It was such a fun cultural experience. I had always imagined the Afrikaans culture from my time in Stellenbosch, and this was a completely different side of it. In fact, most people there spoke only choppy English. Sokkie dancing is a jol. After Ruth and Jono taught me the steps, Rafe tried his best to lead me on the dance floor. Not surprisingly, he found that I too often try to lead myself, but this led to many laughs. When cotton-eyed-joe came on, everyone jumped on the dance floor and began line dancing, and I was able to blend in a bit more. After dancing, Rafe and I went to visit Pasqua and Mike in Constantia.

On my last morning, I went to church on main for the final time with a blessing from Mark before he began his sermon. The meaningful goodbyes, prayers, and amazing worship prepared me to say goodbye, even though it still did not feel real at this point. After church, Rafe, Byron, Pasqua, and Cara-Leigh drove me to the Cape Town airport (don’t ask me how we fit all of my stuff in Rafe’s boot). With time to kill before my flight, we chatted over coffee and sandwiches before they walked me to my gate and hugged me goodbye.

The truth of my leaving did not hit me until I was on the plane, flying to Jo-burg. It hit hard and I fell asleep, exhausted by tears. Luckily, a large contingent of my American group was also flying to Dulles on the same day, so we all sat with each other for 6 hours in the Joburg airport before boarding our 18-hour flight. In that time, I felt more at peace about leaving, and I came to terms with my separations. I was happy to know that it would be easy to contact people across the world while at home.

Now that I’m home (at Tufts), I struggle to understand the reality of two completely different lives and the fact that, in a day’s travel, I jumped from one to the other. I have much reflection to do and will write about my thoughts on it all later…when I understand it. All I know now is that I’m delighted to be home and reunited with loved ones and that I dearly miss my friends and life in Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment