“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins

Mailing Address

Bryn Kass
San Francisco, CA

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Church on Main

So, as it turns out, Nicci and Tash, who Mariah and I met at the time trial a couple weeks ago, invited us to go to "sundowners" at Clifton 4, a great beach in Cape Town. We were more excited to actually drive there than anything else, to tell you the truth. Little did I know, this was an event through their church, Church on Main. Everyone there was so friendly and genuine towards us. It became a long-running private joke between me and my Safrican friend Christianna (and later others) that I would try to hold off as long as possible without the locals knowing I was American....just a lot of "ja ja"s and "heectic broo". Or I would throw in an "azwell" or "kiff, trousers there, hey?"
I enthusiastically agreed to go their church on campus that Sunday and loved it. Malory, my new found friend acts as a selfless chauffeur for many first years (and now and American), treking us to and from church and youth group events like it is nothing. The church has a great vibe. It makes faith something personal, not something institutionalized. And, the people are so real and passionate and, at the same time, openminded and free spirits. Above all, I am so excited to join this wonderful group of people, in any setting, but especially in their church.
Since then, I've continued going to church services, youth group get-togethers, and homegroup meetings. Malory and some friends gave me a lift to a beautiful beach just the other day after church. Every Sunday after the morning service on campus, people picnic on the lawn and just spend time together. Sunday evening is a service in Claremont for the whole church, but most of the older population attends the morning services in Claremont (not the UCT service), so this service is predominantly college-middle aged people, all barefoot and sporting a tshirt and shaggy, free-flowing hair. It's just my vibe.





JoomlaPlates.com

No comments:

Post a Comment