“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins

Mailing Address

Bryn Kass
San Francisco, CA

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Old Biscuit Mill

Saturday, after a great run we ventured to The Old Biscuit Mill Market (OBM). This was one of the highlights of Cape Town thus far. The market is huge- much bigger than the farmer’s market I had expected. The food market there is spectacular, with tables of honeys, pestos, dried fruits, coconuts, cheeses, home-made bagles, crepes…you name it, it’s there. We noticed very quickly that this market is a place to be seen. With wine tasting and champagne offerings, young, beautiful South Africans make their way to the weekly market on Saturday afternoons and socialize.Beyond the food market are more shops, all with wonderful surprisesand potential gifts (although, I keep telling myself I have 5 months to buy you all things to bring back with me). In the span of those two wonderful hours at the market I was: interviewed, along with the other girls, by a young journalist for a youtube video, introduced to the best bread I have ever tasted in my life, and promised some guy named David’s leftover coconut shells to use as a bathing suit top (he later apologized to me for throwing them away before he had seen me return to the food market). I will have to save the ostrich burger for another day.




After the market, we headed back to the beach to a place near Camps Bay but a bit more secluded and protected from the wind. It was an afternoon of swimming and lounging. Many people find the water here to bevery cold but, personally, I think it is wonderfully refreshing on a hot, arid afternoon. I am pleased to say that my tan is coming along just fine. Thanks for those Hungarian genes, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment