“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins

Mailing Address

Bryn Kass
San Francisco, CA

Friday, January 28, 2011

South African Lingo

How's it? = How are you?
varsity = university
motherless = drunk
cinema = theater
Cheers! = Bye!
Rather = Instead (but they don't place "than" after the word "rather")
burgy = homeless person
dodgy = sketchy
to be keen on = to want to
frosties = frosted flakes
tomato sauce = ketchup
hash = pound sign
to hire something = to rent something (like a car)
take-away = to go
braai = BBQ
harmless = decaf
rubbish = trash
marks = grades
mobile = cell phone
SMS = text
schlem = pain in the ass
minibus/taxi = a van that acts as a bus would but caters to personal stops (they tell us not to take these after 6 pm). they are often less than a dollar to ride.
cab = taxi/cab

furthermore, many people add "eh?" onto the end of sentences, much like we would say, "you know?" When you say "just now", it means that it is on my list of things to do at some point or other. When you say "now, now", it means I will do it right after I'm done with whatever I'm doing at the moment. In South Africa, if we decide to meet at 10, any time between 10-10:59 is on time. This is my kind of place.

But, perhaps my favorite saying is "TIA" which locals use quite often. It stands for "This is Africa." For instance, we were in the mall the other day and the elevator broke...TIA. We managed to fit 8 people into an already overstuffed minibus because the driver made us a deal. Every time someone on the bus had to get off, 5 of us would have to step out of and then back into the minibus...TIA.

I am incessantly asking G and Praise to repeat things that they say so I can have a South African accent. It's one of my goals before I leave. The accent sounds like a blend of Australian and British, and trying to speak it constantly feels like my brain is multitasking between the two. It is very friendly and upbeat, but apparently I have a ways to go because they always laugh when I attempt to speak like they do. I've got 5 months; no rush.


G, B & B at Springboks (the bar/club)






Praise, at the mall; he always orders the same thing: chicken wings and a coke from Nando's

Mac, Lindsey, Christina, and "Bryan".
They thought I was a guy at first because no one here knows the name Bryn.




No comments:

Post a Comment